About

Milestones

Aurora Energy

2021

Outram Substation (Commissioned)

B-LINE 33kV Rebuild Stage 1 – Berwick to Outram

Harbour Crossing Submarine Cable / Tower Removal

2020 Cromwell Substation (Completed)
2019

Two new 33‑kilovolt underground cable circuits installed to Smith Street, Dunedin

Riverbank Switchyard (Completed)

2018

Carisbrook Substation (Completed)

2017

Two new 33‑kilovolt underground cable circuits installed to Neville Street, Dunedin

2015

Lauder Flat substation (Omakau) (Completed)

Camp Hill substation (Hawea) (Completed)

Ōtākou voltage upgrade project (Dunedin) (Completed)

Lindis Crossing substation (Cromwell) (Completed)

2014

Two new 33‑kilovolt underground cable circuits installed in Andersons Bay, Dunedin

2010

Commonage substation (Queenstown) (Completed)

2003

On 1 July, Dunedin Electricity becomes Aurora Energy Limited to reflect the inclusion of Queenstown, Central Otago and Dunedin in the network coverage.

Legacy Years

1999

Dunedin Electricity purchases the line business assets of Central Electric Ltd, becoming New Zealand’s fifth largest lines company.

1998

The Electricity Industry Reform Act is passed, requiring full ownership separation of distribution (lines) businesses from supply (retail and generation) businesses.

Dunedin Electricity's owner sells its shares in Waipori Power and United Electricity, effecting full ownership separation of line and energy activities.

Delta Utility Services Limited is formed, to separate competitive asset servicing activities from Dunedin Electricity's regulated delivery business.

1997

Dunedin Electricity anticipates industry restructuring and sells its shareholding in electricity retailer United Electricity to generator Waipori Power Generation.

1993

Dunedin Electricity quits electricity retailing, selling its retail activities to the newly formed United Electricity Limited, in which it retains a 42% shareholding.

1990

Dunedin City Council establishes its electricity generation and distribution functions as separate companies, Dunedin Electricity Limited and Waipori Power Generation Limited respectively.

1907

Waipori Falls Hydroelectric Company is acquired by Dunedin City Council which commences electricity distribution and subsequently appliance retailing, operating as the Dunedin City Council Electricity and Gas Department.

1904

Waipori Falls Hydroelectric Company Limited begins construction of the Waipori power scheme.