Update 2 - Wind-related power outages in Glenorchy and Fernhill: 25 January 2017, 3:00pm
25 Jan 2017
Power is expected to be restored by this evening to electricity customers in Glenorchy and Fernhill near Queenstown.
Delta line crews have been repairing damaged overhead lines at Bobs Cove on the Queenstown-Glenorchy Road and at Fernhill, a suburb in Queenstown today. Repairs are expected to be completed and power restored to all affected customers by this evening.
Overhead lines were inspected by helicopter earlier today. The public is advised to always keep well clear of fallen power lines or damaged electrical equipment and treat them as live at all times.
The current status for Queenstown Lakes as at 3:00pm is:
- Power is out to 350 customers in Glenorchy (near Queenstown)
- Power is out to 200 customers in some parts of the suburbs of Fernhill and Moke Lake in Queenstown.
Further updates will be provided as the situation develops.
We understand the inconvenience that service interruptions cause and we will be working hard to restore power to affected customers as soon as is safely possible. The safety of the public and line crews is of primary importance at all times.
Severe winds continue and people should be prepared for the possibility of electricity-related hazards and power outages, in particular:
- Always keep well clear of fallen power lines or damaged electrical equipment and treat them as live at all times
- Watch out for falling tree branches as these can cause damage to power lines
- Switch appliances off at the wall to avoid possible damage to electrical appliances when power is restored
Be prepared for power outages. Make sure you have adequate food supplies, warm clothing and bedding, torch and spare batteries, battery radio and an alternative source of heating and cooking. People using medical equipment that relies on electricity should ensure they are prepared for power disruptions and if there is an immediate health threat, contact their health provider or call 111.
To report downed power lines, or trees in power lines, please contact Delta on 0800 433 582.
To report a loss of power, please contact your electricity retailer.