Power cuts were in multiple areas across Aurora Energy's network in Queenstown Lakes and Central Otago.
The number of homes and businesses without power is estimated at around 420 (down from 4,500 at peak yesterday). Power could be restored at any time, so please treat all electrical equipment and appliances as live.
Repair work will continue throughout the day, with all effort focused on restoring power to remaining customers today where possible. While every effort is being made to restore power as quickly as possible, this may take some time given yesterday’s significant damage and the large number of trees downed by wind gusts across a wide area. Please always treat downed lines as live and stay well clear.
Power is off to customers in:
- Lauder Flat (power went out to around 190 customers at 7:00am this morning)
- Parts of Glenorchy and Paradise (140 customers remain without power).
Power has been restored to:
- Parts of Glenorchy being supplied by backup generator
- Makarora (except for 6 customers)
- Glenda Drive, Frankton (except for 24 customers)
- Lake Hayes and Millbrook (except for 28 customers)
- Hawea Flat (except for 19 customers)
- Ettrick (except for 12 customers)
- Albert Town
- Jack’s Point
- Glendhu Bay, Wanaka
- Millers Flat
During a power outage, please remember that the safety of the public and Aurora Energy’s field contractor staff is of primary importance at all times. They will respond as soon as it is possible and safe to do so. Please always treat downed lines as live and stay well clear.
- Always keep well clear of fallen power lines or damaged electrical equipment and treat them as live at all times
- Watch out for falling tree branches as these can cause damage to power lines
- Avoid possible damage to electrical appliances when power is restored by switching off appliances at the wall
People using medical equipment that relies on electricity should ensure they are prepared for power disruptions and if there is an immediate health threat, contact their health provider or call 111.
To report downed lines, or trees in power lines, please contact Aurora Energy on 0800 22 00 05.
To report a loss of power, please contact your electricity retailer.