As at 5:30pm, the status of power outages on the Aurora Energy network in the Queenstown Lakes area following heavy snow last night is:
- Power remains out to around 50 customers in the Paradise (near Glenorchy) and Routeburn areas. We expect power will remain off overnight unless repairs can be completed before nightfall.
- Power is being progressively restored to remaining affected customers in parts of Dalefield and all power is expected to be restored there by 6:00pm this evening.
There are a number of isolated outages for individual customers in Queenstown Lakes area. To report a loss of power, customers should contact their electricity retailer.
Delta crews worked through the night to remove snow from overhead power lines and restore power. Throughout today, Delta crews continued to clear heavy wet snow from trees and power lines and make repairs. Snowfall overnight brought tree branches weighed down by heavy, wet snow in to contact with overhead power lines, causing the power to trip.
We understand the inconvenience that power outages cause and we are working hard to restore power to affected customers as soon as is safely possible. The safety of the public and line crews is of primary importance at all times.
People should take care, be prepared for the possibility of electricity-related hazards and power outages, in particular:
- Always keep well clear of fallen power lines or damaged electrical equipment and treat them as live at all times
- Watch out for falling tree branches as these can cause damage to power lines
- Switch appliances off at the wall to avoid possible damage to electrical appliances when power is restored
- Be prepared for power outages. Make sure you have adequate food supplies, warm clothing and bedding, torch and spare batteries, battery radio and an alternative source of heating and cooking.
People using medical equipment that relies on electricity should ensure they are prepared for power disruptions and if there is an immediate health threat, contact their health provider or call 111.
To report downed power lines, please contact Delta on 0800 433 582.
To report a loss of power, please contact your electricity retailer.